Month: September 2014

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I’ve had a fraught two weeks with my Windows Store developer account.

I signed in, checked the dashboard, but when I tried to look at reports for an app, I got an error page saying my account had been locked. There was no indication why.

After trying a few things, I got in touch with support. We had a bit of back and forth, before he told me that, to my horror, my account was cancelled, and removed from the system. However, it turned out that he had been looking at my old developer account, with a different email address (the one I had been using for correspondence) which had, indeed, lapsed earlier in the year.

Despite this original ticket having been raised on the correct dev account, I had to raise another ticket, and explain the problem again. Once more, the back and forth, but at least I got more information – that my account had not auto-renewed because the credit card was declined.

I was a bit confused by this, because I’d received, back in July, notification that my account had been successfully renewed. And I had not received any notifications that the credit card had been declined.

But, when I delved into the commerce section of the site, I saw the attempts at renewal, and the declines. OK, no problem, that credit card had indeed been replaced by my bank, so I added a new card to the account and tried to renew.

I got a cryptic ‘Service Error’ message. No matter what I tried, several different cards, as well as PayPal, all I could get was ‘Service Error’.

I was relaying all this to the hapless support person, who couldn’t seem to help at all.

Then, several days after I’d started this whole odyssey, I suddenly got an email saying my developer account had been cancelled.

Yikes.

If true, this meant my apps would be removed from the store, and I’d have to create a whole new account, and submit the apps again. Existing customers would not get any upgrades, and would not be able to download the app again if they needed to.

This was quite serious. The tone of my emails to support got a little more panicked, as I threw terms like ‘bad faith’ and ‘incompetence’ at him, hoping he’d escalate the issue. However, all I could get from him in return was the same message – my account was irrevocably removed, and I’d have to create a new one.

Until today when, after I replied to his last message, asking for progress on escalating the issue, he replied with all new information.

He said that ‘Recently the developer subscriptions do not expire.’ and suggested that everything looked fine on my account.

He was correct. All was well.

Because of this: New Dev Center lifetime registration and benefits program

The Windows Store dev program has just made accounts a one-off payment. So clearly my renewal difficulties, and the cryptic ‘Service Error’ I kept getting was a result of the internal changes that were happening in the subscription system. I was just unlucky that my registration renewal happened to coincide with the switchover.

I wish they had been able to communicate this change to their support people, though. I had a very fraught two weeks, thinking that I’d have to go through the hassle of recreating an account, and resubmitting apps, along with possibly alienating existing customers.

It demonstrates some of the problems of outsourcing your support so far from the development teams. When I first started in software development, every developer in our (small) company had to do tech support regularly. It kept us aware of issues real users were having, and users got information straight from the people who knew how it all worked. If your support staff aren’t even on the same continent as your development staff, the quality of support is going to suffer.

Advertisements